Children often injure themselves. Unfortunately, some of these injuries can result in scars. If the scar is in an inconspicuous place, you may not think much about the scar. However, if the scar is in a visible place, such as their face, you may want to lighten it or remove it altogether. Here are two natural home remedies you can use to lighten a scar on your child.
Aloe vera has long been used to treat a variety of skin conditions. This is because it is soothing, moisturizing and has healing properties. If your child has a scar, applying aloe vera frequently to the affected area can help lessen the redness of the scar, making it less visible. It can also help moisturize the skin, which allows for healthier skin cells to grow in. While this may be a slow way to minimize the appearance of a scar, it is effective. Follow these steps to treat your child's scar with aloe vera:
- Crack or peel the green exterior shell of a fresh aloe vera leaf. You will see a gel-like substance inside.
- Apply this gel directly onto the scar, rubbing it in well.
- Allow it to soak into the skin. Wipe away any excess aloe vera.
- Repeat the process three to four times daily for the best results.
Olive oil helps to moisturize the skin, which can help to minimize its appearance. Follow these steps to attempt to lighten your child's scar using olive oil:
- Add a drop or two of olive oil onto the tips of your clean fingers. Use deep pressure to massage the oil into the scarred skin. Allow it to sit for about five minutes.
- Use a clean paper towel or washcloth to wipe away excess oil.
- Add another drop or two of olive oil onto your fingers and massage the area again. This time, allow the oil to sit on the skin for about 20 minutes.
- Wipe away excess oil.
- Repeat this process twice a day for best results.
Aloe vera and olive oil can both be used to lighten the appearance of scars on your child. However, they will not completely remove the scar. If your child's scar is large or deep, kids plastic surgery may be needed to completely remove the scar. Cryotherapy, laser treatment and interferon therapy can be used to remove a scar, based on its location and size. Consult with a plastic surgeon if you have attempted home scar lightening treatments and are not satisfied with the results..